Monday 14 January 2013

What's a girl to do - Part 2

I spent the rest of the morning shopping online, I had NOTHING good enough to wear for this event and it was only three days away! The only formal thing I owned was an emerald bridesmaid dress - which would have been perfect had it not been torn from the hanger every St. Patrick's Day. 

My cousin Amy had drawn two big shamrocks on the boobs because it "didn't look Irish enough!’ That sounded like the best idea ever, after a bottle of wine. Right now I could strangle her. 

"So Cinderella's going to the ball?" 

Kate Vile stopped me in my tracks, as I passed her desk. 

"I wouldn't get too excited if I were you. It’s not like you are actually going with him. No - he'll spend the evening mingling and avoiding you once you're seated with the other servants. That's why I turned him down. Well that, and I’m not so readily available!” 

She smirked knowingly, before answering her phone and shooing me away with a flick of her hand.

That figures I thought, I was hardly his first choice. I should have known he'd ask Vile before me. I slumped back to my desk - just in time to see my reminder pop up on screen 

>> 12:25 - Lunch with Caroline <<

"
Oh crap, Caz!" I grab my coat and run around to the park.

Caroline was Mr. Clarke's PA before Aman-droid Dawson took over. We were instant friends from my first day. After being formally introduced she cornered me in the kitchen, 

"Join me and Will for a G&T after work and we’ll debrief you on all these nut-jobs". 

She won’t believe it when I tell her about the LAB.

"Over here you numpty! Only 5 minutes late! Wow! Look at you Ms. Punctuality!” came the sarcastic greeting. 

Caroline was tall, blonde and had legs up to her ears. If I didn't love her so much I'd hate her. I slumped down on the bench which did nothing for my non-existent figure. 

"So what’s the story? Will gets happy feet and I get suicide Sally? Nice one! You certainly don't look like someone going to the LAB with the hottest bachelor in London!” 

She announced the last part like she was presenting an award.

"Jaysus! I only told him an hour ago and he's already texted you!?" 

She takes a very elegant bite into her celery stick and shields her mouth

"Ah yeah – this is Will we’re on about!?" 

My head droops back onto the hard wood and I glance over at Stones’ window. 

"Well Caz, it’s only to meet with O'Brien's PA. He probably couldn't score up a date on such short notice - seeing as it’s his first year without the ex. So alert the church elders, I won’t be going. I’ll make up some excuse.”

Caroline snorted in disgust.

"Yeah sure - whatever! Blaze Stone hard up for a date! I seriously doubt it and of course you ARE going! Isn't this like, your actual wet dream?”

I let out a sigh as she abandons her rabbit food to divert her full attention towards me. This can be a little intimidating sometimes. It reminds me why she was stolen from us by the best property firm in the country. She had immense powers of persuasion. 

"Jo, Blaze has NEVER invited a PA to ANYTHING before! And yes, okay, as much as I loathe Kate Vile - she is right. It’s not like you are going with him officially, so I wouldn't waste time thinking about all that nonsense. You probably won’t see him most of the night. But you should use this opportunity to further your career. It’s the perfect event for networking and making new connections. You're better than this job and you definitely deserve more.” 

She narrows her eyes and scans them over my body - making me squirm a little self-consciously. 

"You’re a size 14 - right? Pear shape and decent tits... ok leave the dress to me and you sort out the shoes.”

With that said, she stuffs the remainder of lunch into her Louis Vuitton and swans off. Benches of adorning men eating their lunch, gape with open mouths. 

"Great! Suddenly she's Gok Wan!" I direct towards a passing pigeon.

I wait another few minutes before I drag myself up and return to the office. That evening I call the folks back home. Dad answered, so we had our usual 34 second catch up while he walked the phone to Mum. She had just come back from Mass where she met my ex-boyfriends parents 

"Apparently he's doing quite well for himself over in Australia. He’s got work coming out his ears, so he does, and he's met a lovely Irish dancer! It’s a pity ye two couldn't make it work really!”

Maybe it’s because he was too busy with other dancers while I was at home organizing our visas for Australia!

"They asked how you were too. I told them about your big reception job over there in London.” 

I rolled my eyes, no matter how many times I correct her - she still gets it wrong.

“Personal Assistant, Mum!"

"Ah sure what’s the difference?"

Only about thirty grand! The faint wailing music of Coronation Street in the background meant it was her excuse to cut the conversation short. My cue to go too - and pour myself a rather large Baileys.

The next morning I follow the same routine and continue to ignore the indigenous forest now sprouting on my legs. I squeeze onto the train find a spot in the corner. It’s a cold sunny morning, my favourite. Whilst stooped under the armpit of a fellow commuter, I can’t help but let my mind drift off to the Ball tomorrow night.

I decided after talking with Caroline that I will use this night to better myself. To hell with Blaze Stone! And all his caramel goodness. I have no time to be wasting on dreams.

Caroline will find the perfect dress, that much I know. Amy is bringing her heated rollers and all I have to do is fight every natural instinct for 3 hours! With my friend's support and the sun on my back, I can’t help but feel a little excited. 

"Good morning Vin! Here's your latte my good Sir!” 

After updating me on his daughter's letters from Jamaica, he nudges me with a wink.

"Hey! Congratulations my girl! I hear you’re gonna be shaking it with the big timers!” 

I held my confused stare until it hit me

“What? How the hell do you know too?”

“Your colleague and fine piece of eye candy Annie, told me last night. In bed.” 

"Annie? You mean our Annie? Our receptionist? The wee one with the hip replacement?”

"There is nothing wrong with her flexibility I tell you girl!" he said through a large grin.
After controlling to urge to heave I said goodbye and tried to shake that awful image from my mind. 

My God, it really doesn't matter how big a city is, gossip finds a way. 

"Well, good morning Jo" 

He greeted through dark Raybans as he gracefully swung out of his car.

Blaze was wearing his blue suit pants with a white shirt unbuttoned at the top offering another tantalizing tip of that tattoo.

That bare glimpse is beginning to remind me of a flipping Catchphrase puzzle. I can literally hear Roy Walker asking me to choose a square every time I saw part of it! 

“Good morning!” Adonis.

He throws his jacket over one shoulder and ushers me in the door before him. 

"I was thinking about tomorrow night Jo.”

Oh, here it comes! He's going to tell me he has a real date now and doesn't need a lucky charm any more. 

"What time should I pick you up?”

I stumble over the step trying to register what he asked.

“Whoops! Watch yourself there!” he says, steadying me with cat-like reflexes.

“It seems like I’ll have to keep a tighter grip on you tomorrow night! There are some expensive items in the National History Museum.”

I laughed so nervously I don’t even smile. He takes my stunned silence as his cue to keep talking.

“So, shall we say eight o’clock? The photographers like us to be early” he rolled his eyes.   

Oh sweet mother of God! Now I have to open my gob. God help whatever comes out.

"Yeah grand, that sounds like a proper plan," I answer, hoping my words were audible. Why did I say proper?

He nodded with the briefest smile and walked to his office. I must have been standing there longer than necessary - as Will had to leave his desk and guide me to mine.

"W-Will, what just happened?" 

"Well my darling, Mr. Stone-Cold-Fox said good morning and now you need to change your pants" 

"No h-he's going to collect me, tomorrow night, and bring me with him".

He hesitated but I knew he was thinking of just throwing me against my desk with jealousy. Instead he took a breath.

"Oh Poppet, this shit just got real!"

He ran off into the kitchen to grab some coffee before we discussed every tiny detail.

So now - despite all my hard work focusing on my career, and not thinking about Blaze - he pulls the floor from under me. But no, I’m sticking with logic here. I will not let my libido get the better of me!
Just then my phone vibrated with a text message from Caroline:

“OMFG!!!!!!!!!!”

I slam the phone down onto the desk. “Jesus Christ Will! Is nothing sacred with you?”

He peeked out from the kitchen like a scolded child and shrugged.  But I had to admit both their reactions caused the tiniest smile to appear on my lips. Fuck my career prospects!

I’m going on a date with Blaze Stone!

To be continued… 

No comments:

Post a Comment